As the result of a work-related injury, you may be referred to The Ohio State University Medical Center’s Functional Capacity Program. Our Functional Capacity Program team evaluates your current strength and physical endurance relative to your work responsibilities. These evaluations establish whether you will be able to return to work in the same capacity as prior to your injury or if certain restrictions will be required.
The Functional Capacity Program works with patients who have been referred to us to assist in determining work restrictions/limitations, partial/permanent disability claims. This includes patients with:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Muscular and skeletal injuries
- Other work injuries
Why Choose The Ohio State University Medical Center?
There are many reasons to choose our programs and services:
- Our physical therapists are certified in the WorkWell Systems™. This is a clinically-validated program that objectively assesses your ability/disability related to future work and function. Our team has the technology, skill, training and expertise required to perform these extensive evaluations.
- The Functional Capacity Evaluation measures your strength, flexibility, endurance, pain, effort and function as well as your ability to perform a series of work-related tasks.
- We are proud that our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- For 19 consecutive years, The Ohio State University Medical Center's rehabilitation program has been ranked among the best in the country by U.S.News & World Report.
- Since The Ohio State University Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available.
The Functional Capacity Program offers rehabilitation services after you have returned home from the hospital or another rehabilitation facility. These are known as outpatient services. These services help achieve your highest level of recovery. Following your referral to us from your physician, our Functional Capacity Program provides the services below:
Functional Capacity Evaluation
Our Functional Capacity Evaluation focuses on musculoskeletal strength, endurance, flexibility and mobility to determine a patient’s functional ability. We use this evaluation to determine your current and potential work status.
Our extensive evaluation process is a thorough series of tests that can last from one to two days. Your evaluation tests various functionalities as they apply to work-related duties such as:
- Body mechanics
- Cardiovascular condition
Depending on the type of testing needed for your specific injury, you may be required to return to the Functional Capacity Program for a second day.
Your Treatment Team
Your customized treatment plan is implemented by a team of specialists who may include:
- Occupational medicine physicians (specialize in work-related injuries and diseases)
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians/physiatrists (specialize in helping people regain body functions lost due to medical conditions or injuries)
- Physical therapists (specialize in helping patients achieve maximum strength, balance and mobility)
- Occupational therapists (specialize in improving patients’ ability to complete activities of daily living)
Additional Specialized Services
Your rehabilitation team may recommend additional rehab services that may include: