Birth control pills contain hormones that prevent pregnancy. You need to swallow a pill at approximately the same time every day. Birth control pills protect from pregnancy as long as you take one each day. You also need to remember to refill your prescription on time each month.
Advantages of Pills:
- Makes periods lighter and less painful.
- Protects against some types of cancer.
- Can be used to cause shorter periods or fewer periods.
Disadvantages of Pills:
- It can be hard to remember to take a pill each day and get prescription refills on time.
- Safe for most women. Women who have high blood pressure, smoke or are older than 35 should not take the pill. Your doctor can help you decide if birth control pills are safe for you.
- Birth control pills do not protect against STIs.