The birth control shot or injection is called Depo-Provera®. Each shot provides birth control for three months. The shot is given in your arm or buttock every 12 weeks by a nurse.
Advantages of Shots:
- Safe, highly effective and lasts for 3 months.
- Private. No one knows you are using the birth control shot. You do not have to do anything before, during or after sex.
- Makes periods lighter and less painful.
- Can be used by nursing mothers and can be given right after childbirth.
- Protects against some cancers.
Disadvantages of Shots:
- Can take one year to get pregnant after you stop using the shot.
- Can cause irregular bleeding and spotting, but this often goes away the longer you use the shot. Some women will stop having a monthly period and this is safe.
- Some women have weight gain when they use the shot.