The typical flow of events for a vascular or endovascular neurosurgery patient will be:
- Upon referral to our center (which can be initiated by your doctor or by yourself), we will determine which of our neurosurgeons you should see.
- Typically, you can be seen within 1 to 2 weeks, but based on the urgency and your level of concern we may be able to see you sooner.
- After seeing our physician and after reviewing your radiologic scans (MRI, CT), a treatment plan will be discussed with you. Sometimes, additional studies will be needed.
- If the treatment plan involves neurosurgery, you will be informed of the benefits versus the risks and a date for surgery will be scheduled. Typically, surgeries will be within 7 to 14 days, based on level of urgency. You can also request to think about the options and return with further questions or e-mail your doctor later with questions.
- The day of surgery, you will be admitted to the hospital and brought to the operating room area for your surgery. After the surgery, you will go to the recovery room or the neurosciences intensive care unit.
- After surgery, your family will be able to see you within a few hours.