The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program guides you and your family through recovery after a heart-related event. Our team of nationally recognized experts is dedicated to caring for people with heart problems. We care for people of all ages who have recently experienced a heart attack, coronary artery bypass surgery, heart valve surgery, heart transplant, heart/lung transplant, angioplasty/stent placement, angina symptoms or other heart problems.
Cardiac rehabilitation can benefit you in several ways:
- Improved cardiovascular function
- Improved fitness level
- Reduction in likelihood of future heart attacks and events through improved dietary habits, weight reduction, diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure treatment, exercise training, smoking cessation and stress reduction
- Improved healthy eating habits
- Increased muscle tone, stamina and activity tolerance
- Less fear or anxiety related to your heart condition
- Faster return to work and/or normal activities of daily living
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation team will provide your care through Ohio State’s Center for Wellness and Prevention (CWP), which is a medically managed prevention and wellness center. The Center is located just west of Ohio State's Medical Center in Ohio State's Martha Morehouse Medical Plaza.
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation program includes:
Phase 1: During a hospital admission, a cardiac rehabilitation member provides education and information to ease the transition from hospital to home.
Phase 2: Phase 2 begins after your hospital discharge. It includes exercise supervised and monitored by cardiac nurses and exercise physiologists, in-depth education about heart disease risk factors and counseling on lifestyle changes. After a rehabilitation evaluation, which may include a VO2 stress test, you begin a personalized exercise program. You may attend up to 36 sessions of exercise depending on your insurance coverage.
Fitness Maintenance Program: Once you have completed Phase 2 cardiac rehabilitation, you may enter a Fitness Maintenance Program. An ongoing program helps you maintain an exercise routine and offers continued staff and peer support.
Ohio State’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). AACVPR certification is awarded to programs that meet high quality patient care standards.
- Personalized – A member of our cardiac rehabilitation team manages your rehabilitative process and develops a program to meet your unique needs.
- Education – We provide you and your family with information about heart conditions, lifestyle and prevention. Educational sessions about nutrition, medications, stress management, cardiovascular and muscle fitness, smoking cessation and other factors contributing to heart disease are available.
- Expertise – Our cardiac rehabilitation team consists of physicians, nurses, exercise physiologists, dietitians, pharmacists and behavioral medicine specialists.
- Innovative – Our cardiac rehabilitation team is composed of nationally recognized experts who are dedicated to caring for people with heart problems. We have access to the latest in cardiac rehabilitation treatments, therapies and research.
- Supportive – We offer events, classes, group support and plenty of encouragement to help you with your recovery.
- Effective – Research studies show that people who participate in cardiac rehabilitation programs experience less recurrence of heart problems, a more rapid return to work and daily activities and a greater sense of well-being.
Referral by your physician is required for enrollment in the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program. If you need assistance with getting a referral, call us and we can help you.
Many medical insurance policies cover Phase 2 cardiac rehabilitation. However, there may be some restrictions based on the diagnoses and on the number of sessions allowed. Talk with your health insurance carrier or company benefits administrator for an explanation of Phase 2 coverage. Please note that our Fitness Maintenance Program is not recognized as a covered benefit for Medicare or private insurance carriers.
Two Care Locations
Ohio State’s Martha Morehouse Medical Plaza
2050 Kenny Road, Suite 1010
Columbus, Ohio 43221
Map & Directions
OSU CarePoint East
(Phase 2 only)
543 Taylor Ave., Room 3068
Columbus, Ohio 43203
Map & Directions