Weight loss surgery is a proven method for reducing weight in patients with clinically severe obesity. It can also result in remarkable improvements in patients' overall health. After bariatric surgery, many chronic diseases and conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, actually go into remission. Patients who have bariatric surgery also have reduced rates of premature death due to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer.
Deciding to have weight loss surgery is a significant step that requires a permanent lifestyle change. To determine whether weight loss surgery is right for you, please attend one of our free information sessions where you will learn more about our Bariatric Surgery Program, meet our team and receive your application.
Why Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center
Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center is a leader in the field of weight loss surgery. We offer three surgical procedures including:
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Lap-Band surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
Our Experience and Expertise
Ohio State's board-certified surgeons are the most experienced in central Ohio. Our qualifications include:
- Performing weight-loss surgeries for nearly 30 years – more than 300 each year.
- Offering the most advanced technology. Minimally-invasive bariatric procedures result in less scarring and faster recovery times for patients.
- Training other physicians on advanced bariatric procedures. Hundreds of physicians trained at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center are now performing surgical weight loss in central Ohio and around the country.
- Achieving major and minor complication rates far lower or below than the national standards.
Major surgical complications:
Minor surgical complications:
Ohio State's Bariatric Surgery team is the best equipped in central Ohio to prepare you for your life-changing, lifesaving procedure, and to help ensure your long-term success. Our team includes:
- Board-certified bariatric surgeons
- Nurse Practitioners
- Exercise Physiologists
Ohio State's bariatric services are part of The Ohio State University Center for Wellness and Prevention, central Ohio's first and most comprehensive medically managed prevention and wellness center. We're located within Ohio State's Martha Morehouse Medical Plaza, providing our patients with a single, convenient location for:
- Medical evaluations
- Dietary evaluations
- Consultation with exercise psychologists
- Pre and postoperative nutrition, exercise and lifestyle preparation
- Insurance precertification
- Lifelong postsurgery medical follow-up, in addition to behavioral and dietary support
- Fitness Center and classes
- Support groups – available for both pre and postsurgery patient