Ohio State’s Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) are advanced-practice registered nurses who provide a lifetime of care for women during pregnancy and throughout the many stages of their lives.
Patients who choose midwifery care are provided natural, holistic care for childbearing and care for a wide range of women’s needs. A Cochrane systematic review (2008) found that, when women chose a midwife for their care, they:
Hatem M, Sandall J, Devane D, Soltani H, Gates S. Midwife-led versus other models of care for childbearing women. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004667. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004667.pub2
- had fewer hospitalizations during pregnancy
- had less use of anesthesia during labor and delivery
- had fewer episiotomies
- were less likely to have an instrumental delivery (i.e., vacuum or forceps)
- were more likely to report that they felt in control during childbirth
Why Choose Ohio State?
Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center offers a comprehensive midwifery program that provides the type of care you want, when you want it. Our midwives are specially trained in gynecologic and obstetrical care, and can connect you with any additional resources you may need throughout all the stages of your life.
Some of the reasons women choose our midwives:
- We focus on providing personalized care, incorporating your individual needs into your care plan.
- We have premium delivery rooms for mothers-to-be, including renovated, private rooms and services for dads/support people.
- We are the only hospital that offers hydrotherapy and water birth.
- Our midwives show a commitment to women and their birth choices by providing continuous labor support.
- Our state-of-the-art facility includes the latest equipment and resources for every kind of pregnancy and delivery.
Ohio State’s Midwifery Program offers comprehensive care in obstetrics and gynecology for women of all ages. Our midwives are accepting new patients and offering care that includes methods of contraception and treatment for common infections, annual well woman exams, prescriptions, pregnancy care and delivery. If you should develop a medical condition that needs more specialized treatment, they will refer you to an obstetrician or other specialist as needed. Our midwives provide a compassionate approach to all aspects of women’s health care.
Elizabeth Austin, CNM
Patricia Dodge, CNM
Laurie MacLeod, CNM
Cassandra Sampsell, CNM
Rebecca Wagner, CNM
Ohio State’s Obstetrics and Gynecology
920 North Hamilton Road
Gahanna, Ohio 43230
We offer a variety of classes to help you prepare for the birth of your baby. View class descriptions and register online for a childbirth class.
Schedule a Tour of the Ohio State’s Maternity Center
Please join us for a tour by calling 614-293-5123 or toll-free 800-293-5123. You can also schedule your tour by registering online. Take a virtual tour of Ohio State’s Maternity Center.