The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center offers comprehensive treatment options for women diagnosed with a variety of pelvic floor disorders. As a division of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, we provide various surgical, nonsurgical and behavioral therapies while personalizing care to each woman’s unique needs and lifestyle.
We provide clinical care for women experiencing:
- Fecal incontinence
- Hematuria (blood in urine)
- Pelvic injuries
- Vesicovaginal fistulas (abnormal connection between the bladder and vagina, which allows urine to enter the vagina)
- Rectovaginal fistulas (abnormal connection between the rectum and vagina, which allows gas or stool to enter the vagina)
- Ureterovaginal fistulas (abnormal connection between the ureter and the vagina, which allows urine to enter the vagina)
- Urethral diverticuli (a pocket in the urethra pushing into the vagina)
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Cystocele (weakened muscles causing the bladder to bulge into the vagina)
- Rectocele (weakened muscles causing the rectum to bulge into the vagina)
- Uterine prolapse (weakened pelvic floor muscles causing the uterus to descend into the vagina)
- Vaginal prolapse (weakened pelvic floor muscles causing pelvic organs to bulge into the vaginal wall)
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Urinary incontinence (stress, urge, mixed, intrinsic sphincter deficiency, neurogenic)
- Urinary frequency, urgency and dysuria (painful urination)
- Voiding dysfunction
Why Choose Ohio State?
Our goal is to improve your quality of life by giving you the freedom to continue the activities you enjoy.
Patients choose our services for many reasons:
- We have a highly trained staff with experience in treating a wide range of pelvic floor disorders.
- We provide the latest in both surgical and non-surgical treatments, with the goal of performing the least invasive and most effective treatments possible.
- When appropriate, robotic surgery using the da Vinci Surgical System may offer a shorter hospital stay, an easier recovery and minimal scarring.
- Our caring staff takes the time to get to know you and understand your unique needs.
- We make sure you understand the circumstances of your clinical issue and tailor your treatment options to meet your specific needs.
- Our comprehensive evaluation, testing and treatment plans are designed to include you as an active participant.
We offer the most up-to-date non-surgical and surgical therapies for female pelvic floor problems, including:
- In-office testing
- Cystoscopy (a test that allows the doctor to look at the inside of the bladder and the urethra using a thin, lighted instrument called a cystoscope)
- Multichannel urodynamic testing to assess a woman’s incontinence issues and voiding function
- Nerve stimulation therapy for urinary and fecal incontinence
- Pessaries (a small silicone device inserted into the vagina) for the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse or incontinence
- Biofeedback (a behavioral technique that improves patient control and strength over the pelvic floor muscles involved in support and continence
- Electrical stimulation of pelvic floor muscles and nerves to assist women in the treatment of prolapse, incontinence and pain syndromes
- Medical management of some forms of incontinence and voiding dysfunction (robotic surgery for repair of prolapse or urinary incontinence)
- Slings to treat urinary incontinence (a sling or hammock is used to support the urethra and prevent leakage of urine)
- Surgical fistula repair
- Transurethral bulking agents (minimally invasive injections in the peri-urethral tissue to relieve incontinence)
- Use of removable or implanted neurostimulators for bladder control (an electrical stimulation device that transmits mild electrical impulses that influence the bladder sphincter and pelvic floor muscles to provide bladder control)
- Repair of urethral diverticuli (surgical removal of an outpouching of tissue from the urethra)
4775 Knightsbridge Blvd.
Columbus, OH 43214
Experts at this Location
Ohio State's Eye and Ear Institute
Department of Urology
915 Olentangy River Road, 2nd Floor
Columbus, OH 43212
Experts at this Location
Ketul Shah, MD